Wednesday 8 August 2012

The neighbors complain about the noises above

Happy Blogday to you
Happy Blogday to you
Happy Blogday betterthancola
Happy Blogday to you.

1 year ago an incident that shall remain nameless gave me the kick in the bumbum I needed to finally write down some of my musings here for one and all to goosey at as they please.
It has been an eventful year for BettterThanCola, with 'celebrity' endorsement, controversy and publication all spread out through the last 12 months and to top it all off over 5000 of you lovely lumps have clicked my button (probably more but blogger reset the clicker when it went all upscale, naughty blogger).  So Thankyou one and all for taking the time out of your day to view my rumblebumblings and here are a few of my favorite moments from the last year of my life... a little behind the scenes of BetterThanCola if you will.

August 2011

(Broad Haven beach 2011)

Leaving my old job and going out there all alone started this month.  I was going through some other stuff as well, but I remember having some really peaceful moments by leaving my phone at home and just going out onto the beach with my camera.  I took this photograph of BroadHaven beach being kicked up just after a real summer storm.  It was also the first snap that I sold, to a lovely gentleman called Gerry who runs a local bandb.


October 2011
Halloween saw the arrival of the best and brightest of my friends from around the British Isles to my native Pembrokeshire for much celebration and frivolity.  There were many pictures taken over the two day period, but as is law they wont be appearing online.   But having friends around you can really make you feel like a million dollars many good memories were created and one and all look forward to a return to Pembrokeshire on my next turn to host the gathering sometime circa spring 2016... best start planning.
Oh also in October I wrote a little piece about how people bastardize my nationality, it received a mixed reaction, 100 angry emails.

December 2011
Obviously Christmas is always good.  I had a very nice Christmas last year including my first introduction to the lovely little baby of my very good friend.  But December also including a trip down memory lane with a vast meeting of former university football greats... lets just say that many sambuca were drunk, a hotel was raised to the ground and I had to stay on an extra day due to my hangover... most excellent reunion.  Of course as well as this for New Years I traveled with a new friend, someone who has quickly become one of my closest friends to the city that never sleeps.  Spending midnight on NYE in Times Square is an exceptional experience.  But the lasting memory of my trip was attending a pyjama party in some right little sort of a bar that some locals had invited us to... onesies were worn, beers were drunk, one of us was sick... not me.


January 2012

As the new year rolled in it was a slow month for me and for BetterThanCola, after taking my time contemplating how to word a post about chivalry being dead and it being the fault of women, I posted at the end of the month.  It was a well received post and got the attention of a lady called Maria who was working with Mens Health to create a new magazine for the ladies, surprisingly entitled Womens Health.  Anyway I got featured on the website and got a little space in the back of the first issue after a couple of re-wordings here and there.  After several months of re submitting ideas im still short of that second write up...

March 2012

In a move that I had been very nervous about I opened the door on my ADD, I had hoped that by putting it out there for friends and family to see I might gain a little more patience from the people I care about.
As well as this I started to attend wedding fayres for the first time and reap the rewards that desperate couple in need of happy snappers for their big day presents.
Oh and also that Kony2012 bullshit sucked in morons far and wide.

May 2012
May is always a fun month.
With the sunshine and aberystwyth calling I had a fine time in the caravan with the pin family before and shortly after the always enjoyable 72 hour may ball shift, as well as enjoying the usual after party, up until finding myself in a little scuffle for defending someone that thoroughly doesn't deserve my defense.
But obviously the highlight of may was the aberystwyth football 7s tournament for which the sun was once again out in full force.  A fine selection of Flexoff faces from old made the effort to return and the side was bulked out with exceptional footballing talent.  Having planned to play a big part, arriving on the friday was deemed a terrible idea after zero hours sleep it seemed Id forgotten how to kick footballs.  Anyway the ever flamboyant Jones stepped in to rescue the armband and lead our boys fearlessly through the day.  Unfortunately the long day couple with a slight lack of familiarity saw us exit a competition that on another we could have won.... Next year boyos



June/July

Summertime called.  My calendar regularly boasting jobs at weddings across south wales and even further afield, and, at the same time i booked my final day for next, ensuring my workload for the year.
As well as this I was pleased as punch to attend several most wonderful social occasions, including a bumlovable bbq to celebrate the jubilee in the rather pleasant surroundings of the royal borough of kensington and chelsea...needless to say the bunting was outshone only by the quality of the company.  And I got to meet up with that same group of friends I hadn't seen since Halloween (due to work and lack of funding) at the lovely horsey day.  Not just the pleasure of their company but an occasion on which the wonderful wags attended.
The magnificent 7 ride again. definately best suit, 2nd best shoes



So there you have it slags.  Many small events make up a year in my life, but some stick with me, happy times and sad times sharing and inspiring me to continue writing.

Heres to a happy first birthday, I hope to provide many more to come.

Mark xxx






(big wheel IOW festival)


No comments:

Post a Comment